Freeman maintains a cross-border practice with legal and tax professionals licensed to practice in both the United States and Mexico. We serve as trusted counsel, offering unique multinational insights, resources, and relationships to clients located on both sides of the U.S-Mexico border.
Our U.S. and Mexican licensed attorneys provide unique opportunities to add legal and tax value and insight in a global economy. We maintain a bilingual and bicultural practice group, catering to Mexican businesses and Mexican family groups investing in the U.S. and foreign and domestic clients engaged in operations and transactions across jurisdictions.
Freeman represents foreign and domestic clients in international and cross-border transactions and litigation. Our cross-border legal team brings a wealth of international knowledge, including business formations, mergers and acquisitions, international tax planning, and dispute resolution. We assist clients with:
- International Tax
- U.S.-Mexico cross-border transactions
- U.S.-Mexico cross-border litigation and arbitration
- U.S.-Mexico cross-border probate litigation
- U.S.-Mexico real estate transactions
In-Bound and Out-Bound Investment
We assist clients with in-bound and out-bound transactions across the U.S-Mexico border—including sophisticated transactions requiring a depth of international tax and customs knowledge. Freeman assists U.S. clients seeking to structure investments in Mexico and other countries, as well as foreign clients structuring business operations and investments in the United States.
Our attorneys assist holding companies with foreign subsidiaries and provide skilled counsel with respect to multi-jurisdictional operational and tax matters. We provide comprehensive assistance to clients with a number of U.S.-Mexico cross-border legal and tax issues, including:
- Planning and establishing maquiladoras (IMMEX) in Mexico
- IC Disc structures
- Cross-border joint ventures
- Technology transfers and cross-border technology licenses
- Transfer pricing issues
Freeman provides comprehensive international tax guidance covering a broad range of cross-border business activities and sophisticated tax treaty and tax planning across jurisdictions to minimize global taxation.
Best Lawyers® and U.S. News & World Report have recognized Freeman as a “Tier 1” Tax Law firm and our international tax attorneys have garnered national and international recognition for their sophisticated tax capabilities. We maintain a unique and collaborative practice group with bilingual and multicultural backgrounds.
- Freeman has been ranked by U.S. News and World Reports as a “Tier 1” law firm for tax law.
- Attorneys in Freeman’s tax controversy and litigation practice have been named to U.S. News and World Report’s Best Lawyers in America list, recognized by Chambers & Partners as among the leading tax and litigation attorneys in the United States, and recognized as the “Leading Tax Controversy Litigation Attorney of the Year” for the State of Texas.
- Our tax litigation attorneys include former IRS trial attorneys, former clerks to the Chief Judge of the United States Tax Court, tax law professors, dual-credentialed CPAs, and attorneys with advanced LL.M. tax degrees from the most prestigious tax programs in the nation. One third of our attorneys are law professors at tier one law schools, teaching tax law.
Consistent with the national recognition of our tax practice, Freeman hosts the world’s largest international tax conference, focusing heavily on Mexican and LATAM tax developments.