Civil Rico Litigation
Freeman’s attorneys are experienced in complex civil RICO litigation, zealously representing clients in lawsuits involving racketeering activity.
- Our attorneys include former government trial attorneys, former law clerks to federal judges, law professors, and dual-credentialed CPAs with deep experience in white-collar litigation. Nearly one-third of our attorneys serve as law professors at tier-one law schools.
- Our white-collar attorneys have been recognized nationally and internationally, including being named to U.S. News and World Report’s Best Lawyers in America list, Super Lawyers, and recognized by Chambers & Partners as among the leading attorneys in the United States, including for fraud representations.
- Freeman’s attorneys have extensive white-collar litigation experience in complex, sophisticated federal matters.
Civil Rico Representation
Freeman’s attorneys have extensive civil RICO experience. The Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (“RICO”) is a formidable and notoriously complex litigation weapon, with nuanced requirements and challenges. Freeman’s civil RICO attorneys have notable experience pursuing civil RICO cases, including multi-million-dollar RICO claims. Indeed, our RICO experience showcases why Freeman is a go-to firm when the stakes are high and the issues are complex.
As a sophisticated white-collar and litigation boutique, we offer big-firm talent in a collaborative environment; think-tank intellect; and exacting analytical precision. Our civil RICO lawyers are trial-ready and battle tested. We combine forensic accounting capabilities with talented attorneys and trial counsel steeped in civil RICO law and procedure.
Civil RICO Claims
Congress enacted RICO Act in 1970. Originally intended to combat organized crime and criminal syndicates, over time RICO has been expanded to prohibit a much broader array of conduct and targets. Successful plaintiffs are able to recover “treble damages,” meaning three times the amount of damages caused by the defendant’s actions. And a civil RICO claim provides for a lesser burden of proof than in criminal proceedings: The burden of proof in a civil RICO case is satisfied by a preponderance of the evidence.
The heart of a RICO claim involves a pattern of racketeering activity. A “pattern” of racketeering activity can be established in two ways: through establishing “closed-ended continuity” (i.e., a series of related predicate acts that were committed over a substantial period of time) or through “open-ended continuity” (a threat of continuing criminal activity that extends beyond the initial period of time when the predicate acts were originally committed).
Among other things, “racketeering activities” include “any act which is indictable under” a list of federal criminal statutes. The list covers an expansive range of violations, for example, violations of the Hobbs Act, 18 U.S.C. § 1951 (extortion); 18 U.S.C. §§ 1341 (mail fraud) and 1343 (wire fraud); 18 U.S.C. § 1831 (economic espionage); 18 U.S.C. § 1832 (theft of trade secrets); 18 U.S.C. § 1952 (Travel Act); 18 U.S.C. §§ 1956, 1957 (money laundering); and 18 U.S.C. §§ 2318-2320 (copyright infringement).
Mail and wire fraud are the most common predicate acts.
Freeman’s Civil RICO Attorneys
The right move at the right time can mean the difference between the right outcome and the wrong one. Freeman’s civil RICO attorneys are versed in RICO lawsuits. We have experience representing clients in civil RICO matters involving various issues, including:
- Mail and wire fraud
- Fraudulent transfers
- Money laundering
- Bankruptcy fraud
- Theft of trade secrets
- Economic espionage
Experience that Counts.
Freeman brings experience and sophistication to the counsel table, along with pedigreed credentials and insight. Our clients can vouch for the fact that we offer more than one answer to the question: Why Freeman Law?
- Recognized and Sophisticated. We are a sophisticated boutique trial firm, hyper focused on advancing our clients’ litigation interests. Our trial attorneys have been recognized nationally and internationally, including being named to U.S. News and World Report’s Best Lawyers in America list, Super Lawyers, and recognized by Chambers & Partners as among the leading attorneys in the United States.
- Multi-Disciplinary and Qualified. Our litigation attorneys include former government trial attorneys, former law clerks to federal judges, law professors, and dual-credentialed CPAs with deep experience in complex financial reporting, accounting, and fraud. Nearly one-third of our attorneys serve as law professors at tier-one law schools.
- High stakes. Our firm is accustomed to handling complex, sensitive matters; we were designed for bet-the-company proceedings.
- Freeman is a “Go-To” Litigation Firm—Trial Counsel for the Cases that Count. Our civil RICO attorneys are versed in complex RICO litigation.
- We Try Cases. We Win Cases. We are committed to delivering world-class counsel in the courtroom using bold, tactical, state-of-the-art approaches to litigation.
- Strategic. Our experienced litigators employ creative, trial-tested strategies that position clients for courtroom success. We craft detailed strategies and trial plans designed to convey the most impactful, psychologically moving themes and storylines—moving juries to action.
- Clear and Focused. We are client-focused problem solvers. Tireless advocates that work best under pressure, we are committed for the long haul, and relentless in our pursuit of justice. Our award-winning attorneys make the complex clear, bringing the issues and facts into focus with perspective and clarity.
- Legal acumen. Our attorneys bring big-firm talent and backgrounds, think-tank intellect, and analytical precision. Our trial attorneys are not only skilled advocates, they are steeped in substantive expertise gained from years of experience in the trenches. We provide sophisticated representation and penetrating legal acumen.
- Driven. Our firm’s founding principles and vision of exceptionalism permeate throughout our litigation and trial practice. We are driven by uncompromising attention to detail and a desire to exceed expectations.
- Ready for the Moments that Matter. Every Freeman attorney participates in the firm’s Trial College, a rigorous training program focused on trial advocacy and procedure. Our attorneys are experienced, trial-honed, and ready for the moments that matter.