Share this Article
Facebook Icon LinkedIn Icon Twitter Icon

Freeman Law is a tax, white-collar, and litigation boutique law firm. We offer unique and valued counsel, insight, and experience. Our firm is where clients turn when the stakes are high and the issues are complex.


This FAQ continues our three-part series of Frequently Asked Questions: Sales and Use Taxes

Q:  If we have not been compliant with state tax law, is there anything we can do to become compliant?

A:  Yes. Use the Voluntary Disclosure process, whereby you come forward before you are contacted by the state and you will pay tax and interest for a limited look-back period and the state will generally waive penalties.

Q:  What if I receive an Audit Questionnaire from a state?

A:  Do not IGNORE IT. Answer the questions based on the entity on the questionnaire and note the questionnaire is signed under the penalties of perjury.

Q:  I have never been audited for sales tax, I should be safe?

A:   No. Taxing jurisdictions across the country are increasing the frequency and volume of sales tax audits and becoming more aggressive due to budgetary deficits.

Q:  What questions should we ask when evaluating our internal sales tax compliance? 

A:  Here are a few questions:

  1. Are we registered and filing sales tax returns in all the jurisdictions where we have nexus?
  2. Are we charging the correct state and local sales and use tax rates?
  3. Are we underpaying or overpaying sales tax on expense, inventory, or asset purchases?
  4. Do we have all the exemption and resale certificates for our exempt customers?

Q:  How often should we review our internal processes for sales tax to make sure we stay in compliance?

A:  We recommend evaluating internal sales tax processes several times a year or at a minimum, every quarter. These checkups help to identify potential issues, such as whether sales tax returns are being timely filed, exemption and resale certificates are being collected from customers, and you are registered for sales tax in the correct jurisdictions.

State and Local Tax Services

Freeman Law can help taxpayers navigate state tax laws. We provide value-driven services and offer practical solutions to complex tax issues. Schedule a consultation or call (214) 984-3410 to discuss your state and local tax concerns or questions.